A student of Howard Hanson, Ward's best-known work is his Pullitzer-prize winning opera, The Crucible.
- He Who Gets Slapped, opera in three acts
Libretto by Bernard Stambler after Andreyev.
[revised 1973; original title Pantaloon]
- The Crucible, opera in four acts
Libretto by the composer and Bernard Stambler after the play by Arthur Miller.
October 26, 1961, New York City Opera, New York, New York
- The Lady From Colorado, opera in two acts
Libretto by Bernard Stambler after H. Croy.
- Claudia Legare, opera in four acts
Libretto by Bernard Stambler after Henrik Ibsen.
- Abelard and Heloise, opera in three acts
Libretto by J. Hartman.
- Minutes till Midnight, opera in three acts
Libretto by the composer and D. Lang.
- Roman Fever, opera in one act
Libretto after the short story by Edith Wharton.
- Images of God, choral play in one act (n.d.)
- Lady Kate, operetta (1994, Ohio Light Opera)
- A Name of Napoleon, operetta
Libretto by James "Doc" Stuart.
2005, Ohio Light Opera
Ballad from Pantaloon
CD / New World Records 80475 (1995)
Last update: January 1, 2009